– How Scania develops our employees and our company
For Scania, diversity and inclusion is a strategic necessity. By having employees with the widest possible range of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, we ensure we have the right people and together with an inclusive corporate culture this drives our business forward. We call this unique, systemic approach Skill Capture, and it’s a key element of our People Sustainability strategy for Scania’s 52,000 employees worldwide.
Building the diversity and inclusion that are at the heart of Skill Capture is, above all, the right thing to do. We want our employees to feel included, proud and happy to work for us, no matter where they are from or who they are. And diversity is not only about what’s on the surface, such as gender or ethnicity; it’s about culture, sexual orientation, life experiences, and much more besides.
But Skill Capture is more than doing what is right for our people, it is also a strategic necessity. The transport industry, our customers and the world are all changing rapidly and Scania needs to reflect these changes to keep up.
Skill Capture is Scania’s answer to the meet the demands that are part of the change to a new, more sustainable transport industry. A diverse group of employees gives Scania the cognitive we need to innovate the new technological solutions that the transport industry demands. A diverse and inclusive Scania is more likely to attract and retain the right talent to take us forward.
How does Skill Capture work?
We create awareness of Skill Capture in the following ways:
- We take a systemic approach to help managers and their teams work with our employees to their fullest potential.
- We hold initial Skill Capture Labs for all management teams.
- When the managers are trained, they train their employees, by cascading the messages down through their organisations through awareness programmes and group work. Each department then sets its own activities.
- Our annual Employee Barometer has three questions on Diversity and Inclusion, to measure the effect of our work with Skill Capture and whether progress is being made, and we act on the feedback.
- We follow up these initiatives: our Skill Capture team meet our Executive Board three times a year to update them on our progress.