Hauliers operating across Europe can plan for a smoother passage post Brexit (October 31, 2019) following new legislation to support cross-border haulage.


Called the Haulage and Trailers Act, the legislation ensures the UK has the necessary powers to support British hauliers after exiting the EU.


It’s part of a reciprocal agreement for haulage access with the EU. However,  the future exit deal may require a form of permitting and this new law provides the legal frameworks to introduce a new administrative structure - should it be required.


The government commented that it was “confident that we will reach an agreement to maintain the current liberal access that is beneficial to both sides. But these powers give us the flexibility to have systems in place if a permit system is required and provides reassurance for hauliers to continue planning for a smooth EU exit.”

What about a no-deal Brexit?

●     In August the government updated its advice for hauliers travelling to the EU if there is a no-deal Brexit on October 31.

●     Carry your UK driving licence. You might also need an international driving permit (IDP) for some EU and European Economic Area (EEA) countries. These are available over the counter at the Post Office, cost £5.50.

●     Ensure you have a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive a lorry in the UK and other EU and EEA countries. The UK will still recognise Driver CPC qualifications from EU countries after Brexit; the EU will not. If you work for an EU company exchange your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU Driver CPC qualification before Brexit.

●     Ensure your passport is valid for at least six months and is less than 10 years’ old (even if it has six months or more left).

●     Insurance: you will need a green card if there is a no-deal. You will also need a green card for the trailer you are towing. If your insurance renews while you are abroad you will need both old and new green cards with you.

●     If you are an operator or an owner operator you will need the correct operator licences. Even if there is a no-deal current licences will still work. For further details, go to the government’s  Carry out international road haulage after Brexit for the most up to date information.