Preparing for Brexit, Deal or No Deal

Preparing for Brexit, Deal or No Deal

Department for Transport provides an updated list of paperwork hauliers may require after 31st October as RHA lays on seminars to prepare operators for no-deal Brexit

With preparations for Brexit ramping up, and a no-deal EU departure becoming ever more likely, the DfT has issued new information on the documents and qualifications that hauliers will be required to have with them when transporting goods into Europe after 31st October 2019.  

Advice in the event of a no-deal is broken down into three categories; driver documents, vehicle documents, and customs and cargo documents.



First and foremost, passports need to be valid for at least six months into the future. Note that these extra months may not be valid on a passport over ten years old.

As standard, the Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) will be required, in addition to a tachograph driver card. If the company you work for was established in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, this CPC will need to be exchanged for an EU CPC before Brexit takes place.

There is also a small chance that drivers will need an ECMT permit, but the government has stated that 99% of journey should continue as normal until January 2020. 



Drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to have a motor insurance green card when driving in the EU, and multiple cards may be needed if towing a trailer. This is alongside your normal insurance certification. Speaking to your insurance provider one-month minimum before travelling to ensure you are fully covered is advised.

As of 31st October, drivers may also require an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to a UK driving licence, but whether you need one/how many you need will depend on the EU/EEA countries you are crossing into. France and Cyprus, for example, do require an IDP. IDP’s cost £5.50 each and are issued by the Post Office. Finding out if you need an IDP can be done quickly and easily via their website checker.

Finally, a GB sticker will need to be present on the vehicle and trailer, even if your vehicle has a Euro plate, alongside a vehicle log book in the truck. 



Obtain cargo and customs documents from your shipping agent, and be aware of the key transit points where it will need to be presented. Drivers carrying high-risk goods, animal, plant or other controlled products are encouraged to request additional documents from the exporter.

Ensure that you have an understanding of, and are prepared for, local customs processes, particularly if you will be travelling through France, Holland, Spain and Belgium.

·       DfT checklist

·       Stay up to date and sign up for email updates from the DfT here

The RHA is offering support and guidance to businesses nationwide through its ‘A to Brexit’ campaign in partnership with the DfT; a programme of free roadshows and webinars exploring the impacts of a no-deal Brexit for hauliers, importers, exporters and manufacturers.

The programme, which launched on Monday 7th October, comprises 66 seminars around the UK designed to be a source for further information on border management and the movement of goods post-Brexit, protocols and checklists.