Where does Brexit leave those in the transport industry?

Brexit is getting closer, and whether the UK leaves with or without a deal, it leaves a key question for our sector. Where does it leave those in the transport industry?

With the unknown future just around the corner it’s good to be in the know where you can. For example, when travelling to Europe as a haulier what do you (and your truck) need? Or even taking it back to the basics of trading. We’ve highlighted a few key government recommendations below that you may find useful.


We’re sure you’re all aware of ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) permits by now; they are what may be needed to drive within the EU if the UK leaves Europe without a deal. Most permits have now been allocated, although they only have enough to cover around 5% of the demand, so you’re not alone if you haven’t been issued a permit you have applied for. However, this might not be a problem; these permits might not be needed to drive within the EU if a deal can be made. The RHA have reported that it is possible the UK could negotiate a deal allowing free movement, meaning there would be no need for permits.


When the UK leaves Europe, there may be changes to a number of things that could affect your business including trading at borders, customs, tariffs, VAT, security, vehicle standards and more. If you import or export goods, it’s recommended that you register for a UK Economic Registration and Identification (EORI) number. The government have said that having this number will make the customs process much easier, find out how to register here. If you don’t transport your goods yourself, contact the organisation that moves them for you to find out if they can make customs declarations for your goods, or if you will need to make them yourself.


The government have advised that from 28th March, you must register all commercial trailers over 250kg and all trailers over 3,500kg to travel to or through most EU countries. They must be registered with the DVLA and display their own separate registration plate. You can find out more information and register your trailer here.


Anybody driving to or through Europe will need at least 6 months validity on their passport, it’s probably best to start checking if your drivers have this now to avoid potential delays closer to March when high numbers of people are bound to be trying to update their passports. Something else to consider, is if the UK leaves without a deal, drivers may need an IDP (International Driving Permit) as well as their UK license to drive in the EU and EEA. According to the government, UK issued CPC certificates might become invalid in Europe, but it is possible to exchange a UK CPC for an EU CPC before 29th March.