Scania XT: A new flagship range for the toughest transport tasks
Scania has created a new flagship range, the Scania XT, to provide transport operators working in the most arduous conditions with a premium choice of bespoke models. Available across the entire spectrum of S-, R-, G- and the newly announced P-series cabs, (see separate release), the Scania XT delivers a highly robust range of solutions for a wide variety of applications.
"The Scania XT has been developed to fulfil the needs of operators working in the most demanding environments such as off-road, quarries and mines," says Andrew Jamieson, UK Sales Director for Scania (Great Britain) Limited. "As such, the range complements the construction industry models we are introducing at this time by providing a dynamic and instantly recognisable flagship model for the most extreme operating conditions."
Key features of all Scania XT models are an all-new heavy duty bumper which extends 150 millimetres from the front of the cab with an improved approach angle and reinforced ribbed rear view mirrors. Both features provide additional operational durability and combine to give all XT trucks a distinct and rugged visual identity. The bumper also incorporates an easily accessible towing device located behind the foldable registration plate holder. It is certified for 40 tonnes, enabling the vehicle to pull other vehicles and equipment as well as to be towed when needed. Other features include slip proof steps, Scania XT branded seats and high-edge rubber mats, and to further set the Scania XT range apart a number of exterior and interior options are available.
In addition to its model-specific componentry, the Scania XT range shares the innovative features being introduced to all Scania construction vehicles at this time. Designed to maximise safety and flexibility in operation, these include:
- EBS in combination with disc or drum brakes.
- Several suspension choices including a new option of 2 x 33mm parabolic leaf springs.
- Large and flexible wheel housing to accommodate varying dimensions and construction operator requirements.
- Vertical Exhaust outlet with two possible positions.
- Clutch on demand (option): The latest development of Scania's Opticruise automated gear selection system, Clutch on Demand provides the driver with the option of manual clutch operation in conditions where it is beneficial to 'feel' the traction being laid down, for example, when manoeuvring on loose surfaces in demanding off road situations.
- Electronic handbrake (option): A new option, Scania's electronic parking brake is pressure sensitive, which means it can be applied gradually. As the parking brake is electrically controlled, it can also be equipped with new functionality. One example is a smart safety feature which sees the brake applied if the speed is low and the driver releases the safety belt or the door is opened.
- Enhanced hill hold (option, only in combination with Electronic handbrake): The hill hold functionality has also been enhanced in that when the electronic parking brake’s auto-hold position is activated, there is no time limit on the length of time it will hold the vehicle. It is also automatically reapplied when the truck stops again, such as in traffic queues. If the vehicle is stationary for slightly longer, it automatically switches from auto-hold to the parking brake.